Assessment of Knowledge and Practice on Oral Health and Oral Hygiene Status Among Fitche Preparatory School Students in Fitche Town, Oromia, Ethiopia
International Journal of Clinical Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Volume 3, Issue 6, December 2017, Pages: 30-34
Received: May 18, 2017; Accepted: Jun. 1, 2017; Published: Jan. 29, 2018
Views 2057      Downloads 105
Rebik Shukure, Department of Nursing, Faculty of Health Science, Salale University, Fitche, Ethiopia
Doyo Shuke, Department of Nursing, Collage and Health Science, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Article Tools
Follow on us
Background: Good oral hygiene is essential for the well-being of an individual. However lack of knowledge, negative attitude and poor oral hygiene practices may predispose to oral related diseases. This study sought to determine whether practice and knowledge on oral health relate to the oral hygiene status. The study design was been descriptive cross-sectional study and the study population will involves both male and female students sampled from the class. Data will be analyzed using scientific calculator and presented in form of tables, charts and graphs. The number of participant for this study is 264 students and of these 158 [60%] and 106 [40%] are female. Most of them are between the age of 18-22, or in early adult hood age. From all respondents, 228 or 86% of give care for their tooth and mouth at least once a day and the remaining 36 [14%] of students replied they were not give care for their mouth and teeth properly. The main reason for not give mouth care is lack of money to buy toothpaste [56%], belief of not necessary [22%] and do not have toothbrush 8 [22%]. All the above result shows that status of oral hygiene is low among fiche preparatory students. The result also shows that peer pressure is encouraging in supporting good oral hygiene as we observe in the above that 71.2% of our study participants got appreciation from their colleagues after they clean their teeth.
Oral Hygiene, Oral Health, Practice
To cite this article
Rebik Shukure, Doyo Shuke, Assessment of Knowledge and Practice on Oral Health and Oral Hygiene Status Among Fitche Preparatory School Students in Fitche Town, Oromia, Ethiopia, International Journal of Clinical Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Vol. 3, No. 6, 2017, pp. 30-34. doi: 10.11648/j.ijcoms.20170306.11
Copyright © 2017 Authors retain the copyright of this article.
This article is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License ( which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
PetersenPE. World health report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in 21th century the approaches of the WHO global oral health programme. Community Dentistry and oral Epidemiology 2003;31 Supp 1:3-24.
The Guardian newspaper. Healthcare spending in the world country by country by Simon Rogers. Data Log Professional network in U.S.A 22th May 2012.
Reich E. Trends in caries and periodontal health epidemiology in Europe. Int Dent J 2001; 15: 392-8.
Brown LJ, wall TP, Lazar V. Trends in total caries experience permanent and primary teeth. J Am Dent Assoc 2000; 131: 223-31.
Maes L, Vereecken C, Vanobergen J, Hokara S, Tooth brushing and social characteristics of families in 32 countries. Int Dent J 2006.
Kussela S, Honkala E, Kannas L, oral hygiene habits of 11-year-old school children in 22 European countries and Canada in 1993/94 J Dent Res 1997; 76: 1602-9.
Corbet EF, Zee KY, Lo EC. Periodontal diseases in Asia and Oceania. Periodontol 2000 2002; 29: 122-52.
Kwan SY, Bedi R. Transcultural oral health care and the chinese- An invisible community. Dent update 2002; 27: 296-9.
Center for Disease Control and prevention. Trends in oral health status united states Morb mortal weekly report 2005, 54: 1-44.
Saadulatefat, Musa ol Ad Saed Muhamud. Knowledge and practice of oral health among junior secondary schools in Nigeria e Journal of Dentistry June 2012; 4 (2) 66-8.
Ayo Yusuf, Booyen. S principle motive of tooth brushing. Pub Med Journal May 2011; 66 (4): 174-8.
Lorna carneiro, Msafiri Kabluwa oral health knowledge and practices of secondary schools in Tanga Tanzania. International Journal of Dentistry 2011, 45: 22-34.
Burnett D, Aronson J, Asgary R. Oral health status, knowledge, attitudes and behaviours among marginalized children in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. J Child Health Care. 2016 Jun; 20 (2): 252-61. doi: 10.1177/1367493515569328. Epub 2015 Feb 23.
Science Publishing Group
1 Rockefeller Plaza,
10th and 11th Floors,
New York, NY 10020
Tel: (001)347-983-5186