Assessment of Knowledge and Factors Affecting Utilization of Postnatal Care in Fiche Town, Oromia Region, Ethiopia
International Journal of Clinical Dermatology
Volume 1, Issue 2, December 2018, Pages: 28-33
Received: May 8, 2018;
Accepted: May 30, 2018;
Published: Oct. 19, 2018
Views 1081 Downloads 168
Rebik Shukure, Department of Nursing, Salale University, Oromia, Ethiopia
Hussen Mohammed, Department of Nursing, Hawassa University, Hawassa, Ethiopia
Abdulselam Wudmetas, Department of Nursing, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Sara Mohammed, Department of Nursing, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Follow on us
Back ground: Mothers and their newborns are vulnerable to illnesses and deaths during the postnatal period. More than half a million women each year die of causes related to pregnancy and childbirth. The majority of deaths occur in less developed countries. Utilization of postnatal care (PNC) service in Ethiopia is low due to various factors. These problems significantly hold back the goal of decreasing maternal and child mortality a descriptive cross sectional study was carried out in Fiche town from a total of 431 women who had delivered in previous one year was participated in the study. Study populations were selected from different age group from (15-45) using simple random sampling technique. Out of 431 mothers 330(77%) heard about PNC but the rest 101(23%) mothers did not heard about it. From the total mothers who heard about PNC 36% heard from health extension workers during home to home visit while, 6% heard from friends. Among the Total respondent 321 (74.5%) of them went to health institution with in 6 week of delivery. Out of 431 mothers, 229 (53%) of them went to health institution within 6 week after delivery for child immunization. Distance from health facility <5km (AOR=3.01, 95% CI (1.12-5.14)), mother whose age is above 19 yrs (AOR=2.3 95% CI (1.8-4.9)), mothers who attend grade 9-12 (AOR=4 95% CI (2.1-6.9)), and cultural reason (AOR=3.2 95% CI (1.5-4.7)) are significantly associated with postnatal care.
Risk Factors, Utilization of Postnatal Care, Lack of Service
To cite this article
Assessment of Knowledge and Factors Affecting Utilization of Postnatal Care in Fiche Town, Oromia Region, Ethiopia, International Journal of Clinical Dermatology.
Vol. 1, No. 2,
2018, pp. 28-33.
Copyright © 2018 Authors retain the copyright of this article.
This article is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Erinsetal post natal care: a critical opportunity to save mother and new borns USA. Jan 2007.
Spotlights on health and rights key topics in the Heilbronn department of population and family health.
Nankwanga A. Factors affecting utilization postnatal service in mularo and mengo hospitals Kamrola, Uganda, Nov 2004.
Annie M. etal. Strengthening postnatal care service including postpartuns family planning in Kenya, June 2008.
NCCPC, postnatal care: routine postnatal care of women and their babies July 2006.
USAID, an annofated bibliography of postpartum family planning literature April, 2008.
CSA and ORC Macro. Ethiopian demographic health survey, 2000.
Lawn I. Cousens s. Zupons Four million health when, where and why? Lancet, 2005 P: 365, & 891-900.
Ethiopian society of population studies, maternal health survey behavior in Ethiopia October 2008.
Sulo chana D. etal utilization of Postnatal care among rural women in Nepal, sep 2007, Biomed Central.
Rebik Shukure, Tesfahun Simegnew. Knowledge towards Antenatal Care and Service Utilization among Women in Fiche Town, North Shewa, Ethiopia. Advances in Materials. Vol. 4, No. 1, 2018, pp. 1-5. doi: 10. 11648/j. ajp. 20180401. 11.
Belachew T, Taye A, Belachew T (2016) Postnatal Care Service Utilization and Associated Factors among Mothers in Lemo Woreda, Ethiopia. J Women’s Health Care 5:318. doi: 10. 4172/2167-0420. 1000318.
Banchalem Nega Angore, Efrata Girma Tufa, and Fithamlak Solomon Bisetegen, “Determinants of postnatal care utilization in urban community among women in Debre Birhan Town, Northern Shewa, Ethiopia,” Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, vol. 37, no. 1, 2018. View at Publisher View at Google Scholar.
Tunde A. etal Opportunities for African New born, 2007.
Shakala B. Kazembe A. factor affecting the utilization of postnatal care at one week & six weeks among mothers at Zomba Central Hospital linmalaui evidence based universary 9(4) 113-186.
Shafia Khatun Nayan, Nasreen Begum, Mumtaz Rahman Abid, Sanjida Rahman, Ahsanul Kabir Rajib, Nashid Farzana, MST Laizuman Nahar, Utilization of Postnatal Care Services among the Rural Women in Bangladesh, Northern International Medical College Journal Vol 8, No 2 (2017).