Seasonal Species Composition and Abundance of Rodents in Yerer Mountain Forest Area, Central Ethiopia
American Journal of BioScience
Volume 3, Issue 3, May 2015, Pages: 87-92
Received: Apr. 16, 2015;
Accepted: Apr. 22, 2015;
Published: May 6, 2015
Views 4048 Downloads 135
Yonas Terefe, Department of Biology, Ambo University, Ambo, Ethiopia
Fikresilasie Samuel, Department of Medicine, Ambo University, Ambo, Ethiopia
An ecological study on the seasonal species composition and abundance of rodents was carried out in the farmland, bushland, forest and grassland habitats of Yerer Mountain Forest Area from July 2010 to March 2011. From a total of 3312 trap nights, 402 individuals of small mammals were captured. Out of these, 400 (99.5%) individuals represented 6 species of the family Muridae and whereas the remaining 2 (0.5%) belonged to one shrew species (family Soricidae). The seasonal species composition within each habitat was not significant. But there was significant variation in their relative abundance during wet and dry seasons. High mean trap success (23.5%) and biomass (4151g/hectare) was obtained from the farmland habitat. Number of pregnant females and embryo count showed seasonal variation. Stomach content analysis showed high proportion of plant matter in all samples.
Seasonal Species Composition and Abundance of Rodents in Yerer Mountain Forest Area, Central Ethiopia, American Journal of BioScience.
Vol. 3, No. 3,
2015, pp. 87-92.
Bekele, A. (1996a). Population dynamics of the Ethiopian endemic rodents Praomys albibesin the Menagesha State Forest. J. Zool., Lond. 238: 1-12.
Bekele, A.andCorti, M. (1997). Forest blocks and altitude as indicators of Myomysalbipes (Rüppell 1842) (Mammalia: Rodentia ) distribution in Ethiopia. Trop. Zool. 10: 287-293.
Bekele, A. and Leirs, H. (1997). Population ecology of rodents of maize field and grassland in central Ethiopia. Belg. J. Zool. 127: 39-48.
Andreo,V., Lima, M., Provensal, C., Priotto, J. and Polop, J. (2008). Population dynamics of two rodent species in agro-ecosystems of central Argentina: intra-specific competition, land-use, and climate effects. Pop. Ecol. 51: 297- 306.
Auffray, J., Renaud, S. and Claudae, J. (2009). Rodent biodiversity, human health and pest control in a changing environments. Kasetsart J. (Nat. Sci.). 43: 83-90.
Avenant, L. N. and Cavallini, P. (2007). Correlating rodent community structure with ecological integrity, Tussen-die-Riviere Nature Reserve, Free State Province, South. Integ. Zool. 2: 212-219.
Boutin, S. (1990). Food supplementation experiments with terrestrial vertebrates: patterns, problems and the future. Can. J. Zool. 68: 203-220.
Delany, M. J. and Monro, R.H. (1985). Movement and spatial distribution of the Nile rat in Kenya. J. Trop. Ecol. 1: 111-130.
Delany, M. J. (1964). A study of the ecology and breeding of small mammals in Uganda. Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond. 142: 347-370.
Datiko, D., Bekele, A. and Beley, G. (2007). Feeding ecology of pest rodents from Arbaminch forest and farmlands, Ethiopia. SINET: Ethiop. J. Sci. 30: 127-134.
Feldhamer, G. A., Drickamer, L. C., Vessey, S. H., Merritt, J. F. and Krajewski, C. (2007). Mammalogy: Adaptation, Diversity and Ecology, 3rd edn. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, pp. 643.
Kindgon, J. (1997). The Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals. A & C Black Pulishers Ltd., London, pp. 476.
Kasso, M.,Bekele, A. and Hemson, G. (2010). Species composition, abundance and habitat association of rodents and insectivores from Chilalo–Galama Mountain range, Arsi, Ethiopia. Afr. J. Ecol. 48: 1105-1114.
Odhiambo, C. O. and Oguge, N. O. (2003). Patterns in rodent pest distribution in a Maize cropping system in the Kenyan Rift Valley. In: Rats, Mice and People: RodentBiology and Mangement, pp. 217-219, (Singleton, G. R, Hinds, L. A., Krebs, C. J., and Spratt, D. M., eds). Australian Center of International Agricultural Research, Canberra.
Mengistu, S. andBekele, A. (2003). Geographic variation in the Ethiopian common Mole-rat (Tachyoryctessplendens) based on morphometry. Ethiop. J.Biol. Sci. 2: 73-89.
Sidorowicz, J. (1960). Effect of the weather on the capture of Micromammalia, Rodentia. Bialowieza9: 139-157.
Habtamu, T. andBekele, A.(2008). Habitat association of insectivores and rodents of Alatish National Park, northwestern Ethiopia. Trop. Ecol. 49: 1-10.
Taylor, K. D. and Green, G. (1976). The influences of rainfall on diet and reproduction in four African rodent species. J. Zool., Lond. 180: 367-389.
Vaughan, T. A., Ryan, J. M. and Czaplewski, N. J. (2000). Mammalogy, 4th edn. Thomson Learning, Inc., Philadelphia, pp. 565.
Gebresilassie, W., Bekele, A., Belay, G. and Balakrishnan, M. (2005). Population structure of rodents in Maynugus irrigation field, northern Ethiopia. Int.J. Ecol. Environ. Sci. 31: 337-342.